Happy New Year! I hope you enjoyed the holiday break and are energized to begin 2019.

One of my goals is to continue to provide updates on our progress with Carolina Excellence. I started these weekly emails early in our project, and as we’ve engaged more employees, I’ve added them to my distribution list. This message now reaches more than 400 employees and I’ll continue to expand the list as we engage more colleagues.

We’re already hard at work and I wanted to share these updates:

• Redesign teams: In their fifth workshop, the functional redesign teams for human resources, finance and research administration prioritized initiatives to implement, brainstormed measures of success for those initiatives and identified stakeholders to engage.
  • HR and procurement pilot projects: The Human Resources pilot continues in the Gillings School of Global Public Health and Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research with the goal of reducing the amount of time is takes to hire SHRA and EHRA non-faculty employees. The design teams are developing checklists for screening and selecting candidates and getting feedback on their work from end-users. In the School of Dentistry and Athletics, the procurement pilot project to improve processing payments $250 or less continues with the pilot teams reviewing a tool to help with decision-making of when to use a P-card and when to use a voucher.
  • Provost Blouin visits: Provost Bob Blouin, who oversees Carolina Excellence, is visiting schools across the campus to share an overview of the project and discuss how it supports the implementation of The Blueprint for Next and enables Carolina to meet its goals by improving operations. Among his visits this week were the Gillings School of Global Public Health along with the schools of law, dentistry and media and journalism. The provost will visit other schools during the spring semester.

Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website, https://carolinaexcellence.unc.edu/ to learn more about Carolina Excellence and to see all of my previous updates. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu .

Thank you for supporting this important work!

Best,

Rick