As we head into to the long weekend, I want to share a quick update on the progress our team has made this week:

• The HR Team continued working in two groups to address student employment and position management. The student employment group began to catalog and evaluate the usefulness and accessibility of existing trainings and resources for students, supervisors and HR employees. The position management group continued to standardize principal functions for HR roles and began to expand upon the various tasks associated with each function.
  • The Research Team continued to design solutions in response to challenges in the award setup process. These solutions include a playbook to help researchers navigate federal grants and enhancements to communications to clarify the process.
  • The Travel & Expense Team has moved into Phase II of their work. Team members began mapping the typical employee experiences through the travel and reimbursement process and identifying opportunities to improve the traveler experience.

Continuing the practice of recognizing Operational Excellence champions, I’d like to highlight the Early Impact Procurement Design Team this week. This group has made a special effort to perfect the design of procurement resources. The new resources will simplify the purchasing process for Carolina employees across campus. Join me in thanking this team for an amazing job!

Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu (yes, I really do read every email).  I hope you all have a safe and relaxing Memorial Day weekend!

Best,
Rick