Good afternoon,

I mentioned in my email last week that the Operational Excellence team was planning on attending the UNC Health Care Lean Six Sigma Blue Belt training. We enjoyed learning more about lean methodology and how to plan for successful transformations.

So, what is lean thinking? The cartoon below gives an example of what it means to be a “lean thinker.”

Take a minute, think about a process, and ask yourself: “Why is the glass twice as big as it should be?”  I welcome you to share your thoughts with me.

Additionally, I want to take a minute to congratulate two of our current OE Design Team Partners for the Data Use & Literacy initiative, Becci Menghini and Mike Barker, on their new roles at the University. Becci was named Vice Chancellor for Human Resources and Equal Opportunity and Compliance earlier this month and Mike will begin his new role as Vice Chancellor for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer on February 1st. We look forward to continuing our partnership with both of these campus leaders – congratulations!

Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu. I read every email.

Thanks,
Rick