Good afternoon,

As many of you know, last Friday, Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and Provost Bob Blouin launched Carolina Next: Innovations for Public Good, Carolina’s new comprehensive strategic plan. You can read their announcement here.

Carolina Next is composed of strategic initiatives that focus on the opportunities where the University can create change and help shape the future of our University, North Carolina and beyond. Each initiative includes objectives and opportunities that will drive our efforts.

I will be serving as the captain for strategic initiative eight, Optimizing Operations. This initiative crosses many facets of the University that are vital to Carolina’s mission.  Objective 8.1 focuses specifically on the transformation of administrative operations and encompasses several opportunities to help advance this goal, including two that highlight Operational Excellence and Lean Management.

I share with you this exciting step as we continue to seek Operational Excellence here on campus. The other initiative captains and I are dedicated to supporting the significant work of Carolina Next.

Next week I will share more about our new initiative. In the meantime, please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu. I read every email.

Thanks,
Rick