Good afternoon,  

I am honored to say the Office of Organization and Professional Development requested that the OE team host a full-day class Feb. 17 for the University Leadership Education and Development (ULEAD) program. The ULEAD program brings together industry leaders and experts to discover and share the valuable tools used to tackle challenges as higher education develops.   

OE’s ULEAD engagement was divided into two parts. During the morning session, the OE team held our Lean Foundations training. This is an introductory course providing basic lean improvement tools while simultaneously inspiring a mindset of continuous improvement. Although the April training is full, we encourage you to join the waitlist on Carolina Talent. 

The afternoon session was centered around project definition and problem-solving. Senior Transformation Manager Mieke Kovens shared a few of OE’s problem-solving frameworks, concepts, tools and techniques, and Senior Transformation Manager Candace Reynolds facilitated a discussion around the OE project process, including project definition. Finally, the transformation managers conducted a workshop for the ULEAD teams to further define their projects.  

I would like to give a special thanks to Rochelle Stojnic for inviting us to participate in this program. As I have mentioned before, OE acts as a catalyst for change and a champion of transformation at Carolina. Through projects and trainings, we strive to support Carolina’s mission by developing and implementing sustainable transformative change.  

Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates, and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu. I read every email.    

Best, 
Rick