Good afternoon,

This month, OE is highlighting Darrell Jeter for being a steadfast campus partner. Darrell leads emergency management and planning for Carolina where he plays a critical role in implementing strategies to prepare for and respond to emergencies that affect campus. He is a collaborative and well-informed strategic partner when developing the best response approach for Carolina’s needs. Read below about Darrell’s time at Carolina and his work with OE to continuously improve the University’s emergency operations.

1. What is your current role and how long have you worked at UNC?

I am the director of emergency management and planning, responsible for overseeing the University’s disaster preparedness response and mission and business continuity programs. I have worked at UNC for five and a half years since Oct 2017.

2. What has been your involvement with Operational Excellence?

My first interaction with OE was while serving on the University’s roadmap implementation team during COVID. I had the opportunity to participate in OE’s Lean Management Foundations pilot training in August 2022. The session was transformative for me as a leader at UNC as it exposed me to lean principles, methods for reducing waste and increasing value, and approaches I can take to continuously improve. Feedback at the conclusion of that training from attendees shared a common theme…we want more. During the 2022-23 water lead testing, OE provided strategic problem solving and consultation support to our coordination group throughout the operation. Currently, emergency management and planning is partnering with OE to support our mission continuity program to help develop a cohesive campus-wide approach to continuing critical services and functions during times of disruption.

3. What do you see as Operational Excellence’s impact on your work and/or the operations of the University?

Through their skilled facilitation, OE has helped strategically align key aspects of emergency management and planning’s program with the university’s operational priorities. They bring clarity, purpose, and sustainability to what we do by asking detailed questions and identifying solutions for filling the gaps discovered in our process.

4. When you are not working, how do you enjoy spending your time?

I’m primarily an introvert so I spend most of my down time either with my family, watching the news or sitcoms from the 1990s, or grilling. I also enjoy periodic nature walks.

Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates, and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu. I read every email.

Best,
Rick