Good afternoon,

This past Monday, the OE team had the privilege to participate in a transformative Liberating Structures training facilitated by Associate Vice President for Organizational Excellence Sarah Collie, Ph.D., at the University of Virginia.  She led us through various activities showcasing the effectiveness of liberating structures methodologies, which can foster collaboration and increase productivity

Liberating structures are frameworks that prioritize a fully inclusive team discussion that builds trust and removes barriers to participation. For example, a group may utilize the 1-2-4-all structure: participants generate an idea on their own, share with a partner, share with a group, then share with everyone. This structure provides a sense of direction while remaining creative. Utilizing liberating structures can encourage better teamwork and tap into collective knowledge.

I want to thank my friend and UVA colleague, Sarah, for teaching us liberating structures. We are excited to put these tools into practice as we continue to support Carolina. Don’t hesitate to reach out to OE if you have any questions about Liberating Structures. Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates, and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu. I read every email.

Best,
Rick