Good afternoon,

This month, OE is highlighting Evan Yassky in our campus partner spotlight. Evan serves as the executive director of facilities planning and design and the University architect. He leads the team that manages Carolina’s capital improvement projects through planning, budgeting and supervision. As the executive director of facilities planning and design, Evan teams with focus areas in design services, interior design, project management and technology. His experience and insight are integral in progressing the Read below about Evan’s time at Carolina and his involvement with OE.

1. What is your current role and how long have you worked at UNC?

I am the executive director of facilities planning and design and the University architect. I came to UNC-Chapel Hill in 2017.

1. What has been your involvement with Operational Excellence?

I have been working with OE for the past year on a project to re-envision the process by which space requests are assessed and space is assigned to units across campus.

1. What do you see as Operational Excellence’s impact on your work and/or the operations of the University?

OE worked with me and others in a cross-functional team to help define the problem we were trying to solve, lead the team in a process to generate potential solutions and map out an implementation plan. This focused, results-oriented approach adds value in bringing targeted resources to unlock greater efficiencies across the University.

1. When you are not working, how do you enjoy spending your time?

I enjoy the many opportunities to engage with art in the area — both visual and performing arts. I got more deeply into running during the pandemic, so you may spot me on the roads and trails in Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates, and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu. I read every email.

Best,
Rick