Good afternoon,  

With classes completed, finals begun and commencement just over a week away I want to reflect on our successful spring semester, in particular the important role played by the Carolina Together Ambassadors. 

As I wrote earlier this semester, Carolina Together Ambassadors have provided campus operational support at academic buildings and testing sites, served as friendly resources around campus and encouraged healthy behavior. Between January and May, the ambassadors have worked over 3,000 hours. 

A tangible outcome of the ambassadors’ work was the successful – and very popular – Golden Ticket program, which was designed to meet multiple needs resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic:  

• Incentivize healthy behavior on campus like mask-wearing, hand washing, and physical distancing   
  • Reward students, staff, and faculty who are following the COVID-19 Community Standards  
  • Support local Chapel Hill businesses through a great partnership with Kristen Young, Director of Community Relations. Kristen was vital in creating connections with the community who were excited to support the ambassadors and the Golden Ticket Program 

Thanks to this community support, the work of our ambassadors and most important compliance with our community standards over 1,250 Golden Tickets were awarded. This resulted in 65 gift cards to local businesses being distributed.  

Finally, I wanted to take the opportunity to recognize Sarah Leck for all that she has done to support me, Operational Excellence and the University. Sarah’s last day at the University is today. Her commitment to excellence in all that she does has had a direct impact on many programs and initiatives, including the Carolina Together Ambassadors. She has been a great teammate of Operational Excellence and to facultystaff and students across the university. Please join me in wishing Sarah well in her next role.  

Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu. I read every email. 

Thanks,
Rick