Good afternoon,  

I hope you are having a safe and productive summer. In the few weeks since my last e-mail the Operational Excellence team – like you – has been working on a number of projects both in anticipation of a return to campus and as part of our normal engagements. This week, I have an update on an engagement we announced in April at the Adams School of Dentistry 

Transformation Manager Candace Reynolds and the Patient Scheduling Design Team made up of faculty and staff met for eight weeks during the spring semester with the goal of improving patient scheduling at the student dental clinic. The result of this process was a summer scheduling pilot. Dental students in the clinic are piloting two scheduling processes this summer. The design team defined specific metrics and is monitoring data for each student group and will use the data to make a decision on an improved scheduling process to implement this fall.  

Candace and the design team are using a streamlined approach and have met virtually throughout the process. The scheduling pilot is the first step of a multi-step project with the ultimate goal of increasing volume in the student clinic, and the project leadership team will remain engaged on targeted initiatives using this streamlined approach to achieve that goal. 

Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues. You can also visit our website to learn more about Operational Excellence, read my previous updates and submit feedback. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at wernoski@email.unc.edu. I read every email. 

Thanks, 
Rick